Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Agriculture College

Going to an agriculture college when I am from Omaha is something of a culture shock. I'm sure college as a whole is a shock for many people, but I think it is compounded by my coming from Omaha (not exactly a huge city, but big) and going to this college, in a city where over half the population is students.
What I love about small town/ag college:
  • There are guys who really wear tight, brand new, ironed blue jeans that come up to their waist, with tucked in plaid shirts and big belt buckles and cowboy hats. And boots. And they are serious.
  • Everyone here is my age, there are no old people, there are no young people. We're all the same!
  • Laid back atmosphere. There is no pressure to look good, or even presentable when going to class. Most of the girls don't even dress up for parties, except for the sorority girls. The guys are, for the most part, not pretty guys.
  • Aggieville. I'm not old enough to officially partake in the bars, but it is a pretty kick ass environment down there. (Down there is across the street from campus.)
  • Everything is across the street from campus. If you drive 20 minutes, you're not in Manhattan anymore. In Omaha, you drive for 20 minutes and aren't even a third of the way through the city. I have friends in West O, and they're on like, street 245. That's 212 blocks from my house.
  • Saferide. If you're too wasted to walk the 4 blocks back to your house/dorms after a night of partying hard Andrew W.K. style, you can call safe ride. You can even request your favorite driver, and it's free.
  • There are classes that I find wildly interesting: Principles of livestock breeding. Horse Training. I'm taking a class next semester called lambing. I'll be measuring blood pressure, weight gain, etc. for pregnant ewes and then when they have the babies I can stay in the barn overnight!! Is there any more kick ass class? Maybe foaling, but that one fills up pretty quick.

What I hate about ag college/small town:

  • Everyone is the same. There are no black people (well, maybe a couple. They all sit together in the Derb), there are no Asian people and there sure as hell aren't any Hispanic people. The uniformity is upsetting after coming from a high school where no more than half the class was white.
  • Red-neck conservative right wing hicks. There are tons of them.
  • Red-neck conservative right wing army guys. Even worse because my roomate loves them all. A guy in a military uniform is automatically placed at a 7 or higher on the scale, according to her.
  • Red-neck conservative right wing ag boys. My classes are full of them, and although their jeans are funny, really, who wears pants around their waist? Them and the ag girls. And their mom jeans.
  • Lacking in music scene. We've got a few local bands, and sometimes someone will come through who is worth seeing, but as a rule good bands go to Lawrence (University of Kansas). For some reason Bob Dylan was here last month, though. That was sweet.
  • Places close. No, I'm serious. If I need fish food at 10:00 pm, I'm S.O.L. Well, ok, a superwalmart just opened up down the street (remember, everything is down the street) and they're open 24/7. But other places have really short hours, and Walmart is the root of all evil.
  • Even though it's college, you apparently can't just assume that everyone is as liberal as you, because it's also Kansas. The school paper actually prints stuff like, "Bush won, so eat it you damn hippie liberals!"

And there you have it. College rocks. College sucks. At least we've got some foxy males, even if they do wear high pants.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Site Meter