Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Guns are for pussies

So today at lunch, one of my friends from Omaha (I'm from Omaha, too) and I were arguing with a group of our Kansas friends about guns. As it turns out, basically every boy in Kansas has his own gun, maybe several. Now, I don't like guns. I don't see any reason to own an instrument whose sole purpose is to kill, because I don't enjoy killing things. Loss of life to me is always something to be avoided and regretted and mourned. Whether it is necessary or not, I don't consider it a sport. I should add that I am in 100% support of hunting, it is through their taxes and fines that most of the remaining wildlife in the United States is maintained and I understand the importance of control the population of native species.
What baffles me is that they think that guns are a way of life. Everyone has a gun rack and kids are taught how to use guns from the age of four (this is what they told me, I know it sounds insane). At four years old kids don't even understand that when they are talking on the phone that the person they are talking to can't see what they are seeing. Four year olds don't know that a short fat glass of milk has as much milk as a tall skinny one. Four year olds are dumb! They don't have any need to know how to work a gun! Are you telling them they need to protect themselves?! That's what parents are for! Little boys are not little men, kids aren't just smaller, stupider adults. Their brain works differently, it takes a while for them to even know that other people experience reality as they do. That shooting someone would cause them pain. That death means forever.
These small town guys, they don't lock their houses but they think they need a gun to keep them safe? You know what would happen: someone just walks in the open door, sees the gun on the rack, shoots the homeowners and burglars the house. Idiots.

The bandaid is still on, although it has lost a little stickiness around the bottom.

Project Getting-over-Tyler is going well. Yesterday dinner was not upsetting and I didn't even get that panicky, excited, limbic-system-getting-worked-up feeling. Today I decided to not skip class and it was fine. I think this is going to work. I can still think he's really hot, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Site Meter