Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

I won't pee at the same time as someone else

I absolutely hate going to the bathroom when there is someone else in there. This generally isn't a problem, my whole life I've managed it pretty well by just not using public restrooms. It is bad after a movie, because everyone has to go really really bad, but I found a loophole in which, if I turn the water in the sink on, it is ok to go when there are other people present. It is slightly more acceptable for strangers to hear me pee (as long as they don't see my face) than people who know me, so when at all possible I will wait outside while my friends go and then insist that they wait outside for me while I go.

This became a genuine issue when I moved into the dorms. I spent almost the entire first semester of Freshman year having to pee, because every time I would walk down the hall to the bathroom, there would be someone there and I would have to walk back to my room and wait a little longer. I have explored nearly all of the bathrooms on campus and know which ones are rarely used, spacious, well lit, or otherwise desirable. There have been times when I have waited until the middle of the night to sneak down the hall, knowing that the bathroom would be empty.
I have also lately built up my tolerance, due to living in a shared-bathroom situation, so I can go to the bathroom when someone else is present under the following circumstances:
If I get there and there is no one else there, I can go, and if someone comes in before I'm done I can either leave before them, which can be tricky with timing if they come out before I'm finished drying my hands and see me; or I can wait until after they've left. This can be disastrous if a 3rd party comes in before the 2nd party leaves, or if for some reason the 2nd party takes a long time. There was once an instance where a stream of about 6 people came in consecutively and I just had to sit there! Once I sat for about 15 minutes, trying to determine if the person had left yet or not, only to leave and discover that she had been trying to out-wait me! Bitch.
Leaving the water on is a cure-all, as long as no water-conservation-conscientious person comes in and turns it off before I'm done.
If I get there and there is someone else there, I can either go into my stall and wait until they've left to begin my business, or I can leave and come back later. Or go to another bathroom.
My roommate recently found out about this, and so she has taken up the endearing habit of telling me the occupation status of the bathroom whenever she comes into our room.
Emma has a much less endearing habit of standing outside the door of the bathroom and shouting "I can hear you! I am listening to you pee!" Damn her. She turns the water off, too, when we use public restrooms together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Site Meter