Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Wind Energy

I've finally decided how I feel about wind energy in Kansas. The issue was first brought to my attention by none other than Tyler last year at lunch (we had lunch together once. Brilliant).
I consider myself pretty environmentally aware and feel rather strongly that it is important to preserve our nonrenewable natural resources, etc. So I had always just assumed that wind energy was a very good idea, and since Kansas is ridiculously windy, I didn't think that there was an issue. However, I was disconcerted to find that the Audubon society and a couple other environmental organizations in Kansas were opposing measures being taken to build wind turbines. Apparently there is a big push going on to build turbines in the flint hills, which are home to approximately 2/3rds of the total amount of tall grass prairie in the world. So it isn't a very cool idea at all to tear up natural habitat and put in these huge-ass wind turbines, and all of their maintenance roads and power lines. However, western Kansas is an ideal site for such an undertaking and would benefit the farmers out there as well. So, no wind farms in the flint hills, but yeah to wind farms in western Kansas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bitter Sweet said...

Thanks for the comment. The dying animal in question is a mouse. There really isn't much I can do for him at this point except make him as comfortable as possible. He has a little friend that he likes to cuddle with and I'm glad he has that if nothing else.

February 2, 2005 at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex:
Site Meter